Sunday, July 7, 2024

Silly Memories https://rockingwithdannie.blogspot.com/2024/07/silly-memories.html

  A while back, my care-giver and I were  chatting  and I discovered  that   her  grandfather was an old classmate of mine  back in our two-room  school days. That was  the most exciting thing  that   happened that day, and brought  back a ton of memories.

One day  his  older  sister cane to school wearing a brand new, store bought dress with  a sixteen-gore  skirt...the latest fad at that time.   I renumber it well. It was a blue printed cotton that was selling  for $2.98 at J.C. Penny’s.  I know,  because I checked  it out  he next time  I went to town.

That  was beyond my reach financially,  so I broached the  subject of a sixteen-gore skirted dress to my mother who made all my clothes on  her Singer sewing machine.  She never used a pattern,,,just laid  out  the material and cut.

I was disappointed  rthat she wouldn’t tackle more than eight gores, but settled for that. Today the old Singer is at  rest by a wall in the guest room.

No comments:

Post a Comment