Saturday, July 6, 2024

s https://rockingwithdannie.blogspot.com/2024/07/s.html

 Summer was snake-time out on the  farm. We had a lot of snakes, but  only one was poisonous–the copperhead. Easily identified by   their copper color and flat heads, their bite  is very painful and needs immediate medical attention, possible hospitalization and therapy.

Snakes have no ears  and depend upon “hearing” vibrations in the  ground to alert them to danger. 

Scientist now   know they can also ‘hear’ air-borne sounds.

They are rather shy creatures, so when alerted, they  slither away to  a safer location. Usually, but not always. These that stayed hidden  were the ones Mother and I watched for when we did the chores. We carried  a sturdy stick and killed quite a few.

 After I left home, my parents tore down the old house and built  another. Stacks of old lumber made it as far as the backyard fence and remained there for some time. 

At that  time, they had two dogs that got perturbed at some of the nighttime roamers that came into their yard and would set up quite a racket. One night they seemed especially disturbed, but Dad could see nothing needing his attention so he expected a snake had ventured into the yard, and shushed the dogs and went back to bed.

        The next morning, after thinking about the commotion, he decided it was time to investigate that pile of lumber, so he began moving it aside with a long- handled hoe. And when he had finished, he had killed eleven copperheads.

         Another time we were visiting and the smaller children were playing on the front porch. One of them came in, big-eyed and excited, and said there was a snake out there in a bush by the porch. My hubby got his .22 and shot that fellow out of his resting place far up among the limbs of the tall bush. Nothing to get excited about–just another copperhead.

 

      A few years back, we cleaned three  barns preparing for an auction. They were full of stacked lumber, hay, tools and accumulated junk.  We dug–no, dug, while my husband sorted through the treasures I uncovered, and decided what to sell and what we couldn't do without. I figured I was the experienced copperhead person and would be careful. Husband just didn't take that copperhead haven stuff seriously. So I was very careful and was amazed to disturb no snakes. After the auction and the buyers were carrying away their purchases, two big copperheads came out of their last hiding place and  met their end before they made it to safety.

       Then there's rattlesnakes.  A friend who lives in a different area–a rocky, hilly place, was enjoying the fresh spring breezes with her windows opened wide. She walked back to her bedroom and did a double-take. She was staring eye-to-eye with a big rattler sunning itself outside on the window ledge.  Nothing between them but a window screen. So far as I know, she's never opened a window for fresh breezes since.

 

         My last snake experience was in my house. One evening I glanced down the hall as I walked by and saw something that looked like a belt lying far down toward the end...yet not quite like a belt, and anyway, there was no reason for a belt to be lying on the floor. Nobody was living at that end of the house. Those thoughts took about two seconds to fly through my mind––then the belt wiggled and in that special, quavery voice that comes out when things  are getting out of hand, I called my husband.
 "Huh?" he responded from his recliner.
       "Snake," I squeaked.
 That got him on his feet to come over and make sure I knew a snake when I saw one. After all, he knew I was an experienced snake killer. I was the gal that without fear, had tackled three barns of junk in snake-land, so the panicky call was a bit puzzling.
  Well, this was different. Out in the open you can walk away and hope you never meet again. In your house, if you walk away, you can be sure you'll meet again. Your house has become the snake's house, so  this  snake needed watching. 

 

It was on the move and it had two choices when it reached the end of the hall––the room directly ahead or the one on the right, which happened to be our son's room packed wall-to-wall with junk. If the snake entered that room. we'd never find it. And there was no way I was going to live in a house with a resident snake.
  Luckily for us, the snake went straight ahead, so hubby fetched a snake handling tool and with the fellow cornered, the situation was resolved and I still have a home.

   

   A lesson was learned– an open outside door, even one into the garage, is an invitation for a snake to come a-visiting. So even if you're going to be out only a minute of two, close that door. Most likely the snake that ventures in will be a harmless one, but once in, you either remove the fellow or live with the excitement of having a snake slither from beneath the couch or out of your closet, or....

 

Then  there was the time an  early norther blew in  and we decided to build a fire in the fireplace to take the chill off the room,. The kindling was lit, a couple dry logs  were  added and we soon had nice little fire. I was gazing  into the flames when I saw something waving from the back side of a log that hadn’t yet caught fire. I blinked and pointed. Snake! I hollered.  My husband grabbed the little green snake and dumped it out into the yard , where it slithered away. I expect it never again hibernated in a woodpile.

 

 

 

1 comment: